Gen Con has several highlights for the upcoming convention.
Gen Con Gets Ready for 45th Anniversary
INDIANAPOLIS (July 30, 2012) – Gen Con Indy 2012 will return to the Indiana Convention Center for its 45th Anniversary in less than one month. THE BEST FOUR DAYS IN GAMING™ return August 16-19, 2012.
Gen Con Indy is the original, longest running, best attended, gaming convention in the world. For over 44 years, Gen Con Indy has been setting the trend and breaking records. Last year, more than 120,103 turnstile attendees experienced Gen Con Indy. There is so much to do, see, and experience at Gen Con between the exhibits, special events and over 8,500 gaming events taking place over four days. Attendees meet the movers and the shakers in the gaming industry and have the opportunity to see the newest games and get a sneak peek at the latest editions.
Updated Headlines for Gen Con Indy 2012
- Gen Con’s 45th Anniversary- First held in 1967 by Dungeons & Dragons co-creator Gary Gygax, Gen Con has remained the “must-attend” event for the gaming community for 45 years. To celebrate its anniversary, Gen Con will award 45 complimentary badges for Gen Con Indy 2013 at this summer’s show.
- Celebrating 10 Years in Indy- In 2003, to accommodate expansion, Gen Con moved to the Indiana Convention Center, and now, will commemorate its 10th year in Indianapolis. According to Indianapolis Convention & Visitors Association (ICVA) estimates, Gen Con brings approximately $36 million dollars in annual business to Indianapolis.
- Badge Sales at a Record Pace- Last year, Gen Con reached a four-day turnstile attendance of more than 120,000. This year, badges are moving at an even faster rate.
- Future of Dungeons & Dragons Keynote (NEW)- For the first time, Wizards of the Coast will present a keynote address at Gen Con, unveiling information about its exciting D&D Next project. This keynote not only will feature comments by members of Wizards of the Coast’s R&D team, but also a presentation by company CEO Greg Leeds.
- Debut of Star Trek: Catan™- Mayfair Games will preview their all-new release, a Star-Trek-themed version of their best-selling game, Settlers of Catan.
- First-Ever World Magic Cup (NEW)- Magic: The Gathering players from more than 50 countries will attend Gen Con to compete for the first-ever World Magic Cup.
- More than 45 All-New Games (NEW)- Board games, family games, card games, RPGs and more are to have their first public versions showcased at Gen Con Indy 2012.
- Sun King Brewing’s Ale of Destiny Tapping Party (NEW)- Gen Con LLC has partnered with Indy’s own Sun King Brewing to release an official Gen Con beer, the Ale of Destiny. An open-to-the-public, 21-and-over tapping party will serve as the unofficial kick-off to Gen Con Indy 2012, beginning on Wednesday, August 15 at 6 p.m. at the High Velocity Sports Bar near the all-new JW Marriott.
- 10th Anniversary of True Dungeon- Gen Con’s largest event, True Dungeon is an immersive life-size dungeon adventure through 45,000 square feet of convention space.
- 27th Annual Costume Contest- Numerous awards will be bestowed across a wide swath of categories!
- Author’s Avenue and Writer’s Symposium- This year’s Author Guest of Honor Brandon Sanderson, creator of the Mistborn series and author of the upcoming Wheel of Time novel, Memory of Light, leads a group of prolific and high-profile authors in the convention’s annual Writer’s Symposium. Those interested in autographs, informative writing seminars, and exposure to literary luminaries should attend.
- Art Show and Artist’s Avenue- Acclaimed fantasy illustrator Todd Lockwood has been selected as Gen Con Indy 2012 Artist Guest of Honor. More than 80 artists will take part in the annual Art Show, and prints and original artwork will be available for purchase from many participating artists in the Exhibit Hall.
- E-Games Arena- Digital gaming fans will find a host of games to play at Gen Con Indy 2012, including numerous competitive events and dance-game events.
- Anime and Film Festival- Interested in seeing a movie at the show? More than sixty films and digital projects will compete across three categories at Gen Con Indy’s Annual Film Festival.
Family Fun at Gen Con Indy 2012
- Family Fun Pavilion – This is an area dedicated to family gaming for all ages. It includes exhibits, demonstrations, activities and much more!
- Training Grounds – is the place to introduce kids to the gaming world and all its possibilities. Training Grounds is most appropriate for kid’s ages 4-12 years old and is located in the Family Fun Pavilion.
- Family Fun Day, Sunday August 19 – There will be events specifically designed for family involvement, including face-painting and learn-to-play events, along with discounted badges.
Gen Con Indy will be open to the public Thursday, August 16, through Sunday, August 19, 2012. Thursday through Saturday the Exhibit Hall is open 10 am to 6 pm and Sunday from 10 am to 4 pm. 24-hour gaming takes place at the convention center and at area hotels during the four-day event.
Everyone attending Gen Con Indy must purchase a badge. A badge allows the individual entrance to the show, admittance to the Exhibit Hall, Art Show, Anime events, seminars and any events happening in the public areas that do not require an event ticket.
- Badges are available now at www.gencon.com with Will Call pick-up on-site.
- 4-Day Badge Price: $80
- 1-Day Badge Price: $50
- Sunday, August 19, is Family Fun Day!
- $30 for a family of four
- Family Fun Day Badges may be purchased on-site only
About Gen Con
Gen Con LLC produces the largest consumer hobby, fantasy, sci-fi and adventure game convention in North America. It was acquired in 2002 by former CEO and Founder of Wizards of the Coast Peter Adkison, who owns the company headquartered in Seattle, Washington. Gen Con is a consumer and trade experience dedicated to gaming culture and community. For more information visit the website at www.gencon.com . For up-to-the minute details, check out www.facebook.com/genconindy.